HISTORY: THEN & NOW
171 Main Street
THEN: Central Hotel (1860-1995)
NOW: Lucan Area Heritage & Donnelly Museum
Of the original seven hotels of Lucan's early days, the Central Hotel is likely the oldest, dating back to around 1860 when it was built by Bob Mclean. Mclean operated the hotel from 1860 to 1899, at which time it came under the ownership of Alex McFalls. In 1899, the Lucan Sun advertised the hotel as "a model of neatness, the table supplied the best food the land affords and is excelled by no hotel west of Toronto".
The Central Hotel suffered from a fire on January 11th, 1995, from which it could not recover. Despite the attempts to restore the building, the damage was too great, and it was torn down in the spring of 1997. This site is now home to our very own Lucan Area Heritage & Donnelly Museum, which opened it's doors in 2009.
233 Main Street
THEN: Stanley Hall
NOW: C. Haskett & Son Funeral Home
This residence was built by Barney Stanley in the 1860's, and due it's attractive build and extensive landscaping, it became known as "the showplace of Lucan". Eventually the building became a Nursing Home, and later, a storage building.
In 1962, the home was remodelled to it's present state by the Haskett family for use as a funeral home. Bill and Colin Haskett are the fourth and fifth generation funeral directors, following in the footsteps of Clarence, William, and Charles.
199 Main Street
THEN: Lankin's Shell Gas Station & Variety Store
NOW: Don Lankin & Son Service Station
In 1910, Harry Lankin, born and raised in Granton, began a harness making business in Lucan in the Stanley Block, now the site of the Bank of Montreal. By the late 1920's it was evident that horses were beginning to tbe replaced with a few cars and some tractors. Harry then purchased property at the corner of Water and Main Street in Lucan, and moved a small building there and began selling gasoline. It was Lucan's first gas station.
Due to the continued need for a harness making and repair shop, a two-bay service garage was added to the building. Over the years, the tall hand-pumped dispensers with the big glass bowl on top were replaced with modern computerized units. Paul Lankin is now the fourth generation of Lankins operating this thriving business, making it Canada`s oldest family owned Shell station!
At one time, John Donnelly, killed the night of the Donnelly murders in 1880, operated the Dew Drop Inn at this site prior to Harry Lankin purchasing the property.
6244 William Street
THEN: Western (Donnelly) Hotel
NOW: Scott's Elevator Ltd.
Built and operated originally by William Walker, and later run by Bob Donnelly and his nephew, James Michael, the Western Hotel was popular with farmers until it was torn down in the 1960's.
Images and items from the Western Hotel are on display at the Lucan Area Heritage & Donnelly Museum, and today you will find Scott’s Elevator & Feed Store on the site of the Western Hotel, also known as the Donnelly Hotel.
163 Main Street
THEN: Private Bank of R.H. O’Neil
NOW: Our Place
R. H. O’Neil operated the bank in this building from 1876-1901. In 1908, it became a Merchant’s Bank until it moved to the present Bank of Montreal location (158 Main Street). This building has also been used as a cold storage plant, and a locker & meat market, prior to being the location of several diners over the past few years.
Presently you will find Our Place at this site, where homecooked meals are enjoyed by the locals and visitors of Lucan.
183 & 185 Main Street
THEN: Lucan Lodge
NOW: Ausable Community Centre
These days at 185 Main Street in Lucan, you will come across the Ausable Community Centre. At one time, this address was the site of the Lucan Lodge, and later, the Lucan Library (from 1957 to January 2000).